Department OverviewThe Collection Management Division has two departments: Collection DevelopmentandCataloging and Metadata Services. Serving both internal and external customers, the division provides selection, acquisition, cataloging, processing, and collection maintenance services for the collections of the UNT Libraries.
Job DescriptionThe University Library Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire an Electronic Resources & Contracts Assistant (ERCA) to support the acquisition of online resources for the library's collection.
The Collection Development Department is responsible for acquiring information resources to support teaching, research, and learning at UNT. A large portion of the library budget is spent on electronic resources such as databases, digital collections, streaming video, and other online materials. The ERCA assists in the work of reviewing contracts and licenses to ensure adherence to Texas state law and University and Library guidelines. The ERCA works directly with vendor representatives, other library staff, and University legal personnel to review contractual terms. The ERCA also assists in vetting and promoting the resources themselves. This position offers significant opportunity for professional growth in an area of increasingly desirable expertise in the library field.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
* Evaluates contracts for purchases and renewals to insure they meet detailed university-mandated legal criteria and adequately reflect the expected terms such as pricing, payment schedule, access, etc. Exercises judgment to edit contracts which are found lacking and negotiates with vendors to settle on appropriate language and terms.
* Independently investigates and evaluates new purchases for subjective accessibility and usability criteria in order to expend budget. Participates in establishing purchase criteria. Makes recommendations for vendor selection and purchase consideration.
* Creates and maintains resource descriptions in library catalogs and resource lists to provide information to library patrons on the strengths and uses for all electronic resources.
* Creates and designs promotional material for existing electronic resources to increase product visibility and usage; new acquisitions to inform library patrons of their addition to the collection; and trials to insure a large sample group is available to provide feedback.
* Creates and maintains license records in Sierra Electronic Resource Management system to guide library staff in how resources may be legally used.
* Creates and maintains extensive electronic filing system to store critical purchase documentation.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
Minimum QualificationsThe successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree and one year of progressively responsible library experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Extensive knowledge of library principles and policies, and knowledge of specialized area functions and workflows.
* Experience in working effectively with students, faculty, staff, and the community.
* Ability to utilize multiple computer applications toward increased productivity in a rapidly changing environment.
* Strong leadership skills.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
* Knowledge of safe working procedures and security measures related to work performed.
Preferred QualificationsThe preferred candidate will possess experience with any of the following:
* Technical writing
* Evaluating online resources
Special Instructions to ApplicantsApplicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?Yes
Driving a University Vehicle?No
Job Open Date01-31-2019
Job Close DateOpen Until Filled Pay Rate Salary Commensurate with Experience
Job TypeFull-time Permanent
Quicklink for Postingjobs.unt.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=65731
Associated topics: attorney corporate, business, company, compliance office, corporate, corporate attorney, court, courtroom, lawyer, llp