Patent Attorney II
Employment Type: Full-Time
You will perform, manage, direct, and leverage designated patent and related intellectual property (IP) activities within the research and development (R&D) organization of Novartis
More specifically, in this role you will:
• Provide clear, informed and sophisticated counseling to Novartis R&D clients on opportunities to protect their inventions, create IP portfolios, advise on publication strategies, and mitigate third party risks.
• Build and manage patent portfolios for Novartis R&D projects by identifying inventions and preparing, prosecuting, maintaining, and defending patent filings for them, especially in technical areas related to new chemical entities, processes, platforms, and technologies, as well as clinical developments.
• Render legal opinions with respect to patentability, validity, and freedom to operate, and formulate patent strategies for Novartis R&D clients that secure IP positions, freedom-to-operate (FTO), and enable IP defense(s).
• Apply deep expertise in national patent law and practice, including patent trends and case law developments, to devise patent strategies and advice.
• Understand other forms of protection relating to exclusivity, and apply as required.
• Maximize effective communication with colleagues and leadership in the legal and IP function as well as the R&D organization.
• Build and manage external relationships with outside counsel and collaborators, including substantial interactions within a multicultural global patent function.
• Conduct due diligence assessments and counsel based on these assessments, including FTO, infringement and validity analyses, and risk evaluation and mitigation.
• Provide IP support for transactional projects, such as research collaborations and in-licensing opportunities, including advice on contract drafting and negotiation.
• Perform timely review of publication requests.
• Deliver work results on-time, on-target, and within budget.
• Continue professional development and contribute to development of IP colleagues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUSA096Nn_E EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
What you'll bring to the role:
• J.D. degree with admission to at least one state bar & registered to practice before US Patent Office
• Bachelor degree in chemistry or equivalent; MS/PhD, or equivalent, in chemistry is preferred
• 1-2 years exposure to the drug discovery and development processes utilized at pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology companies
• 7+ years’ experience as a qualified patent attorney in a law firm or in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry
• Strong scientific background in chemical sciences; preferably including direct lab experience
• Expertise in local (US) and PCT Law, filing process and prosecution practice; detailed understanding of counterpart European patent law and other major global patent systems
• Strong customer-service experience and adept at building and sustaining effective partnerships with key stakeholders and project teams
• Experience integrating global outlook and management of product lifecycle into decision-making process
• Effective analytical, presentation, and communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team
• Well-developed research and critical thinking skills, and sound decision-making abilities, with attention to detail to produce consistently accurate work
• Strong organization and time management skills with flexibility, creativity, resourcefulness to successfully prioritize and manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously
• Strong interpersonal skills (partnership, influence/persuasion, teamwork)
Why consider Novartis?
That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...