The Department of Public Safety (DPS) provides police and security services for the Boston Medical Center (BMC). DPS reports to the Senior Director/Chief of Public Safety, who, with the Director/Deputy Chief of Public Safety is responsible and accountable for providing a safe, secure and welcoming environment.
The Manager of Training, Standards & Compliance will report to the Deputy Chief/Director of Public Safety. This position will be responsible for reviewing, improving, and updating existing training and certification programs as well as developing and implementing new training programs for DPS personnel approved by the Director. The manager is responsible for ensuring all department personnel and training programs are in compliance with all regularity and oversight agency requirements including, but not limited to, The Joint Commission, Massachusetts State Police, Boston Police, Medical and specialized training requirements, department and Medical Center standards of professional conduct.
The Manager will assist in revising and updating policies, procedures and training standards to ensure the department training programs reflects the most current standards and best practices in healthcare security and policing. Responsible for oversight and compliance of all Special Police officer requirements and licensure for all department staff. This position will have primary responsibility for providing training to department personnel and Medical Center staff on specific training topics and programs. Responsible for managing the departments field training officer (FTO) program and for promoting engagement with Field Training Officers in promoting effective and evolving field training for new officers and supervisors.
The specific duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- The development and implementation of comprehensive, didactic and hands-on trainings for DPS personnel who will be assigned to the hospital. - Assess the appropriate training requirement of all DPS personnel and work with the DPS management team to determine Sergeants and officer's proficiency and competency to work under high stress situations, emergency response, violent behavior and all other incident response of a DPS officer. - Work collaboratively with the Office of Emergency Preparedness to assist with developing and implementing a comprehensive response plan for external emergency responders and informative sessions with the city's first responders as requested. Assist in the planning, evaluation and participating in mock drills, to critique real or factual DPS incidents as a learning technique to minimize risks and vulnerabilities. - Investigate allegations of employee misconduct and citizen complaint and review instances of Use of Force by department staff to determine if actions or conduct was in violation of department policy. Findings and recommendations will be forwarded to the employees manager in cases of policy violation, need for remedial training or recommendation for recognition for exemplary performance or behavior.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
- Develop, coordinate and implement didactic and hands-on training programs for personnel working in DPS - Oversee and manage De-escalation techniques, Defensive Tactics, Handcuffing, Baton, OCAT pepper spray, first responder and CPR. - Oversee Special Police certification and training requirements are met. - Review and revise the Field Training Officer program on an annual basis or as needed. - Routinely update and maintain training programs including but not limited to Field Training Officer (FTO), new Officer - Orientation, fire safety, infection control, report writing, criminal law updates, select agents, restraints for patients, domestic violence and firearm training. - Act as a liaison and coordinate response to regulatory agencies on training-related issues and work with the coordinators of our emergency preparedness teams for BMC. - Assist the Manager of Operations with use of force investigations and/or allegations or complaints brought against DPS personnel. - Incorporate the information and lessons learned from the investigations, critiques and observations into the training programs. - Liaison with external law enforcement agencies in compliance with Joint Commission Forensic law enforcement standards.
Other duties as assigned by the Director of Public Safety or his designee.
BA or BS in Criminal Justice or related field of study, preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
- Must meet and maintain the ability to be appointed as a State Special Police Officer (MGL C22, S35). - Must possess and maintain a motor vehicle driver's license - Certification in various specialized and related training topics, preferred.
- 3-5 years of progressive management experience in law enforcement and/or healthcare security is preferred. - Experience in public speaking and delivering training programs to individuals and large groups, preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Knowledge of healthcare security and policing standards and challenges
Ability to provide constructive feedback and evaluation of skills, performance and competency of others. We will provide consistently excellent and accessible health services to all in need of care regardless of status or ability to pay - exceptional care, without exception.
Boston Medical Center participates in the Electronic Employment Verification, Program. As an E-Verify employer, all employees are also subject to completing a background check.
Boston Medical Center's policy is to ensure equal employment opportunities for all, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic. We view the principle of equal employment opportunity as a vital element in the employment process and as a hallmark of good management.
BMC is an equal employment/affirmative action employer. If you need accommodation for any part of the application process because of a medical condition or disability, please send an e-mail to ************************* or call ************ to let us know the nature of your request. Associated topics: attorney corporate, compliance, compliance department, compliance office, corporate, internal, lawyer, legal, legal affairs, market
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.